The American Gold Eagle and its Silver Eagle counterpart are soaring into a new generation of coining in 2021. In celebrating the 35th anniversary of the series, the US Mint has introduced a refreshed bald eagle design on the reverse side of the respective coins, with the Gold Eagle design coming from US Mint Artistic Infusion Program artist Jennie Norris. Right now, 2021-W 1/2 oz Proof American Gold Eagle Type 2 Coins are available to purchase online from JM Bullion.
- Arrives in a protective plastic capsule and black presentation box with an included Certificate of Authenticity!
- 35th-anniversary strike of the Proof American Gold Eagle!
- All-new Type 2 design debuts on the reverse!
- Limited mintage of only 2,000 coins!
- Contains 1/2 Troy oz of actual gold content.
- Bears a face value of $25 (USD) backed by the federal government.
- Lady Liberty features in front-facing relief on the obverse.
- An American bald eagle’s keen gaze greets the viewer on the reverse.
- Reeded edge variation brings anti-counterfeiting measures to the coin.
- Enhanced obverse visuals return the stars, sun rays, torch, and other obverse elements to Augustus Saint-Gaudens’ original version of the image.
- “W” mint mark from the West Point Mint.
Each 2021-W 1/2 oz Proof American Gold Eagle Coin in this listing comes with the all-new Type 2 design from Jennie Norris, the debut of the new bald eagle on the coins. The coins in the Proof Gold Eagle Series are packaged inside of capsules with a black presentation box and a Certificate of Authenticity included. The outer sleeve around the presentation box has an artistic rendering of the new bald eagle reverse design.
The United States Mint has established limited product limits and mintage limits for each of the Proof American Gold Eagle Type 2 coins. As the US Mint issued the original designs on the first 2021-dated Proof Gold Eagles, known as Type 1 coins, its switch in production to the Type 2 design leaves limited opportunities to strike the coins. As such, the 1/2 oz Proof Gold Eagle has been set with the lowest available mintage for individual purchases at just 2,000 Proof Gold Eagles in this packaging option.
Lady Liberty features on the obverse of 2021-W 1/2 oz Proof American Gold Eagle Coins. This effigy of Liberty was created in 1907 by Augustus Saint-Gaudens. His original design from more than a century ago was ahead of the capabilities of the US Mint. With the release of these Type 2 coins in 2021, the US Mint has enhanced many of the visual elements in the obverse design to bring the image closer to Saint-Gaudens’ original vision for the design. This includes enhancements on the torch, U.S. Capitol, sun rays, and stars, among other things.
An all-new image of the bald eagle is found on the reverse side of 2021-W Proof American Gold Eagle Type 2 Coins. The design features a left-profile effigy of the head of the eagle with its keen gaze fixed on the viewer.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. JM Bullion customer service is available to assist you at 800-276-6508, chat with you live online, or respond in writing via email.